[Varsity]: UWE Vs UOB Strength Wars at MyGym this Saturday 29th April @ 1pm
The first ever UWE Vs UoB Strength Wars will be held at MyGym on Saturday 29th April. Weigh-in will be at 1 pm sharp, and the competition will begin shortly afterwards. The event will be similar to ‘Strength Wars‘ on YouTube, so come along to compete or spectate, it’s going to be awesome! Sign-ups have now closed but if you have any questions, please PM the organiser on Facebook: Shamil Themutant.
We’ve finally decided on the rules (mutually agreed by both universities MASS organisers) to ensure a level playing field is met, whilst testing each athlete’s strength, endurance and determination!
Firstly, each athlete will be paired in a head to head (UWE vs UoB), against someone of similar bodyweight. You will find out who you’re up against several days before the event, hence the requirement of signing up below, which will close at 23:59 on Sunday 23rd April 2017.
Secondly, the head to head will consist of a series of exercises in one go, which are the following: Squat x20 reps, Bench Press x10 reps, Deadlift x20 reps. The weight on the bar for ALL exercises will be determined by the bodyweight of the individual athlete (weigh-in on the day at 13:00). Males: x1 bodyweight, Females x0.5 bodyweight. The person who finishes first in each head to head will be the winner.
Thirdly, the winner of each head to head will score a point (1) for their university, whilst runner ups will score (0.5), with the overall score determining the winning MASS team.
JUDGES: There will be 2 judges from each university (who won’t be allowed to compete). During a head to head, 1 judge per university will follow each athlete to count reps.
– Squat = You must hit depth (parallel to the ground), and lock out at the top.
– Bench Press = The bar must touch your chest, and lock out at the top (no “bounce off the chest reps”).
– Deadlift = You must lock out at the top for each rep, whether in Sumo or Conventional form.
– Allowed = Weightlifting Belt, Wrist Wraps, and Knee Sleeves.
– Not allowed = Any equipped lifting gear (bench/squat shirts), Wrist Straps (the ones used for grip in deadlifts), or Knee Straps/Wraps (+ anything else that provides an unfair advantage)